Harmful Effects of Pesticides to Humans

It seems as though as a society we spray pesticides indiscriminately on plants that we think we don’t want, and unfortunately the pesticides don’t always end up where we intend them to.
In essence, pesticides are meant to kill insects and other pests, but far too often the pesticide spray ends up going “out of bounds” so to speak, and they cause very harmful effects on other organisms besides those of which they are intended for.
Younger organisms of every species, including human children are very susceptible to the effects of these pesticides, and the brutal aftereffects are not always apparent until much later in life..
Most pesticides affect the nervous system and such symptoms as memory loss, reduced ability to see, uncontrolled and altered mood swings, coordination loss, and reduced motor skills are the result.
Other more serious conditions such as cancer, asthma, allergies, reproduction problems, hypersensitivity and issues with the development of fetuses.
If you live near farms, you are probably exposed to these pesticides, as all of the material does not land on the field nor does it stay there. If there is any wind as it is being applied, there is much of it that will blow away into adjoining neighborhoods and developments.
Much of the time the pesticides are applied by a crop duster aircraft, which makes the material just that much more susceptible to the winds and airwaves.
Children are much more vulnerable to the effects of pesticides than are adults due to their smaller stature. Children eat, breathe and drink more than adults in comparison to their size, and they take in proportionately more of the pesticides than do the adults. Their organs and their bodies are growing very rapidly and this also makes them more vulnerable to harm, because their growing bodies naturally take in more of everything.
When we use pesticides on our lawns and in our orchards and decorative areas, we are spraying a poison on our habitats that linger and doesn’t go away very rapidly. Yes, it does kill the bugs, but it also affects us, our children and our pets.
Pesticides get into everything, in our water, our food and the earth. Who knows how much of the elements of the pesticides we ingest each year just from the residue of the pesticides on our fruits and vegetables. That is why it is always prudent to wash everything very thoroughly that we get from the grocery store.
We do not know exactly where our fruits and vegetables come from, so one could assume that whatever we get has been heavily sprayed for bugs. The fruit crops in California could not exist were it not for pesticides, but how soon will it be that we will not exist because of the pesticides.
Pesticides can be cumulative in their buildup inside of our bodies. People who spend lots of time in their gardens also suffer from the effect of pesticides, and doctors don’t really know what to do about it. The most obvious treatment for all of the serious conditions that are cause by overexposure to pesticides is to stay away from them and don’t get exposed.
The fact that pesticides are cancer causing is backed up by the fact that residue of certain pesticides have been found in the blood cells of different cancers. Studies have shown that women that have breast cancer, have from five to nine times as much pesticide residue in their bodies than woman who do not have breast cancer.
We think that we are helping curb insect proliferation when we spray our fields with pesticides, but we are only harming ourselves. Pesticides have been found in almost one third of all the food that we eat. Foods where pesticides have been found include apples, cereal bars, bread, lemons, cereal bars lemons, peaches, fresh salmon, strawberries, nectarines and potatoes. Pesticides are supposed to kill insects and pest, and not be in a position to enter into our bodies.
We as a society need to become more aware of where and how pesticides come into contact with us, and to avoid being around such substances, no mater what. If we could find a way, and we are, to simply use a substitute ingredient to control insects of a wide variety of species, we would all be a lot better off health wise. Our exposure to pesticides could be lessened a great deal if we would think about the exposure that we have everyday.
Each year that we continue to use these current pesticides on our crops and gardens make it one more year that we are exposing our children to these poisonous substances. There is no need for this as these pesticides all have alternatives. It is just that these substances are so cheap to make, and until we can find a wholesale substitute, things are likely to stay the same.